How better to kick off a revived blog than to resurrect an ancient post (circa 2005) from my very first year as a blogger ...
... Though I aspire to more inspirational work, I will admit to finding the litterbox cake post a perfect illustration of the Dolittler vision: engage, instruct, influence. And the cake may be gross, but it's my way of saying: "Move over, boys. This is not Dr. Dolittle's profession any longer!"
Recipe for Litterbox Cake à la Dr. Khuly
- 2 recipes brownies (homemade is best but Entenmanns can work, in a pinch)
- 1 recipe chocolate frosting (buy only if you absolutely must as these taste like hell from a can)
- 2 recipes angel food or white cake (unfrosted store bought, if necessary)
- 1 large box Nerds with greens and blues picked out (or one small box of each color)
- 1 bag Tootsie Rolls candies
- 1 brand new (please!) litterbox (best with kitty designs on the side or partial litterbox cover or splashguard so there’s no mistaking the cat-box for what it is)
- 1 brand new litter scooper (to match the box)
- 1/4 cup dark honey, dark corn syrup, or agave nectar
1. cut the brownies into even squares and line the bottom of the box with them
2. melt the frosting slightly in the microwave to achieve a pourable consistency
3. pour the frosting over brownies in an even layer and smooth out well into the corners
4. in a large bowl, crumble the cake to make a fine, littery crumb
5. sprinkle blue and green Nerds evenly over the top (to resemble those air freshening crystals which [dubiously] improve offensive odors)
6. and now for the fun part: sculpt Tootsie rolls into realistic renditions of cat stool (kitty turds, if you will)
7. randomly insert litter scooper to simulate attempted filtering of litter
8. scatter and embed Tootsie Roll sculptures into cakey litter
9. pour honey over litter in a simulated urine pool
10. apply litterbox splashguard or partial cat-box cover for un unmistakable litterbox ambiance
11. present to oohs and aahs and ughs all around — then dig in!
Love this? SHARE!!
Title pic: Dr. K's infamous litterbox cake!